Children, youth, and families are an integral part of our ministry at Grace. Read below for more on our Christian education and seasonal gatherings for families!
All offerings for children and youth follow our Child Protection Policy; all staff and volunteers have been background checked. Contact Pastor Katie (703-451-2900 x3) for more information about any of our Christian formation activities.
Children's Sunday School (preK-5th grade)
Grace for Kids: Sundays during online worship
Our children typically meet for Sunday school during the 9:15 hour prior to worship. Age-appropriate worship and formation activities are also provided during Grace's 10:30am worship serivce. These programs are on pause during Covid-19 as we reimagine Christian education in a virtual and distance-friendly way.
During 2020-2021 school year, we are providing a simple curriculum for children. Kids can tune in during the children's sermon in Grace's online worship service for a brief video lesson. Or, if you miss it, the lesson is available on Youtube anytime after Sunday morning. Then, supplementary activity packets are provided monthly to go along with the lessons. Our fall program was based on the Beatitudes (an Illustrated Ministry curriculum), and our spring curriculum has followed along with the church-wide study of the life of Jesus through the gospel of Luke, followed by an Easter-season curriculum, "Celebrate! Jesus is alive!" about the gifts and calling of Christ for all ages.
Contact Pastor Katie or the church office if your family would like to receive activity packets.
*EXTRA* Grace for Kids: 1st Sunday of the Month @ 11:45-12:15
To facilitate some interaction in Spring 2021, we've been holding monthly Zoom gatherings, where kids age preK-6th grade can gather online, greet one another, and play games. Join us for Bingo, scavenger hunts, show and tell, and maybe even a funny song or two. Our last Extra Grace Zoom will be May 2. Contact the church office for Zoom info. As we move into summer, we hope to shift to gathering families and children via distanced and masked fellowship or mission events--stay tuned!
Youth Sunday School
Middle and High School
Our middle and high school youth typically meet for Christian education during the Sunday School hour. During 2020-21, we are folding Christian education into our typical youth group events.
In the past, middle school has used Echo the Story curriculum to cover the whole arc of the Bible making connections between Old and New Testaments. The high school class has most recently studied what it means to be a follower of Jesus with studies from Viva! and Thoughtful Christian.
Middle and high school youth also have opportunities for spiritual growth in the context of faith discussions and hands-on service opportunities in youth group.
The Confirmation class is typically open to 8th graders and above. Over a school year, confirmation candidates explore questions of Christian faith in order to prepare them for commitment to the Christian life and membership in the church using the Big God, Big Questions curriculum. The next confirmation class will be in 2021-2022.
Additional Opportunities for Children and Families
- Though it is currently on hiatus during Covid-19 pandemic, Children's Choir is open to all children who want to lift their voices in singing. See the Music page for more information.
- During the summer for Vacation Bible School, we typically partner with another local church to offer a week of Bible learning, crafts, and other fun activities for children ages 4 through 5th grade.
- Middle and high school youth at Grace gather regularly for youth fellowship. They also participate in Tri-Cities Work Camp and other key missions of the church. See the Youth and Missions pages for more information.
- Grace's mission activities serve as a focal point for bringing families together at the church. See the Missions page for more information.
We also offer several special events throughout the year for families. Typical events include:
- First Wednesdays Growing in Grace (GIG) brings families together for food, fellowship, and exploration of current topics. See the Christian Education page for more information.
- Easter Eggstravaganza- An egg hunt held the Saturday before Easter, with breakfast, crafts, and the Easter story
- Oktoberfest - A fall festival for families held each October
- Advent Festival- Festive dinner, crafts, and story time held early in December
"Like" or "Follow" the Grace Presbyterian Facebook page to stay up-to-date on activities at the church.